September 8, 2019 Sermon Note
Scripture: Psalm 133
Summer / Fall Transition…
Check out today’s bulletin!...
Psalm 133: our theme passage for the upcoming ministry year
Psalm 133 [A song of ascents. Of David.]
How good and pleasant it is
when God’s people live together in unity!
It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron’s beard,
down on the collar of his robe.
It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore.
The Songs Of Ascents [Psalms 120-134]
• Psalm or Song 133 is what is called a “song of ascents” or a “pilgrim psalm”
• A Songs of Ascent are a group of songs people songs as they ascended to Jerusalem
• Going up to Jerusalem on pilgrimage: Burnaby Mountain is about 1200 feet above sea level; Jerusalem = 2500 feet above sea level
Verse 1: Unity Between People Is A Great Thing
• The 1st verse gives us the theme of the Song: Unity is awesome
o Why is unity a good thing?
• “Pleasant”: The word used in Hebrew of “singing, dancing, music, sweet, lovely”
• “Good” = “tov” [in Hebrew] = “good” goes back to the first chapter of the Bible
Verse 2: Unity Is Like Oil Falling
• Anointing oil
i. Tangible—you can feel it
ii. Coming down from above: God anoints and God blesses
iii. Spreading / rippling out
o Head, beard, collar…covering the whole priest?
Verse 3: Unity Is Like Dew Falling
• Mount Hermon: northern Israel (the Galilee); 9,000 feet above sea level; dew, snow, moisture, fertile area around Mount Herman
“…I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.”
Unity as a Gift
• “Gift” or “grace” is the basic orientation of the Bible:
• Psalm 133 is not imperative but rather indicative
“Believers are never told to become one; we already are one and are expected to act like it.” (Joni Eareckson Tada)
How Can We Foster Unity? What Are Some “Means Of Grace / Unity”?
1. Worship Services / Worship Services
2. Small Groups
3. Community Party
4. Human Sexuality Series
5. Mission In Our Everyday World
6. Prayer Together