February 2, 2020
“Jesus And The Spirit”
God’s Empowering Presence
• Spirit present when things begin:
i. creation (Genesis 1)
ii. tabernacle (Exodus 31)
iii. Jesus ministry (Luke 4)
But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you” (John 16:7)
“…and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove (Luke 3:22)
Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness (Luke 4:1)
Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside” (Luke 4:14)
Synagogue (reconstructed synagogue)
• Luke 4:16ff: it is like the “throne speech” (setting the agenda)
• The synagogue service…
• This is the ministry of Jesus in a nutshell, a summary, his “marching orders”
• And what is one word that summarizes the main message in these two verses…??? Freedom!
• Verses 18-19:
1. “He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners”—the role of the prophet
2. “To set the oppressed free”—the role of king [make it happen]
3. “To proclaim the year of the lord’s favour—the year of Jubilee: (1) All the slaves go free (2) all debtors forgiven; (3) all the land is returned
Freedom: what kind of freedom is this?
Q & A 1 What is your only comfort in life and in death?
A 1. That I am not my own, but belong—body and soul, in life and in death—to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood,
and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil.
Why Is Jesus Focused On Freedom?
• This is in the message of the passage
• This is the condition of the people he is talking to— politically
• This is the condition of the world—enslaved to sin and to the Evil One; groaning; under subjection (Romans 8); slavery; bondage
Spiritual Or Physical?
• We dare not separate them
“body and soul”
Jesus does not separate them? Is Jesus a Saviour for the soul or the body?—both (Read through the Gospel of Luke! )
The year of Jubilee—was for the social and economic fabric of our lives
Jesus wants and is able to free us from :
• Free us from all kinds of addictions
• Luke 5—free us from physical disease
• Luke 6—free us from hate [love your enemies]
• Luke 9—freed from thinking that following jesus will cost you nothing
• Luke 10—freed from a narrow view of “neighbour”
• Luke 11—freed from prayerlessness
• Luke 18—freed from thinking the kingdom is not for children
• Luke 19—free us from hoarding wealth
Q&A / Responses